Villa La Collina is located on a hillside (la collina) across the valley from Todi, which has been described as one of the most original and lovely of medieval hill towns. The area is charming and the villa provides the perfect setting for a trip-of- a- lifetime Italian holiday experience. The villa’s owners are an Italian husband/American wife who have restored the villa in a traditional Umbrian style with the assistance of a local professional expert in restoration. Throughout, the ancient beams, mellow chestnut wood doors and recuperated terracotta floors were lovingly restored and replaced, the villa has been insulated, plumbed and wired using the most modern techniques. The result is comfortable and very practical. The old house sits on a hillside in such a way as to enjoy cool breezes all summer. The pool was designed by a dedicated lap swimmer and has its waterfall border overlooking the beautiful open views of Umbria.
The landscaping of the 4.5 hectres (10 acres) property is based on mature rosemary, lavender and rose bushes over several acres with background of over 400 olive trees and dozens of fruit and nut trees. There is a small vineyard yielding about 700 litres of red wine each year. Rental guests are welcome to the table wine of La Collina. The herb and vegetable garden are a cook’s dream. There is a stand of sage, mint, bay trees for bay leaves, thyme edging, chives, a strawberry planter by the kitchen door with 6 herbs handy and quantities in the vegetable garden along with seasonal items. There is something in bloom in flowerbeds near the pool, and in terra cotta planters all spring, summer and fall.
Main House – 4 bedrooms, 4½ bathrooms, Sleeps 8-11
- Foyer entry way that leads to living area, kitchen, game room and guest bedroom 1.
- Guest Bedroom 1: queen bedded room with French door to patio with ensuite bathroom, walk-in shower with grab bars and stool.
- Living room/dining room: Large open living and dining room with three French doors leading onto vine covered pergola with views over Todi and Umbrian hills. The dining room table seats 10-12.
- Kitchen: fully equipped kitchen includes a 5 burner gas range, 2 electric ovens, large fridge and freezer, microwave and dishwasher and other practical appliances. Kitchen includes breakfast nook with heavy chestnut table for eight with two French doors leading onto pergola and loggia.
- Laundry room: with washer and dryer, iron and ironing board and laundry sink. Clothes rack and drying line.
- Powder room
- Game room: with full billiard table, ping pong table, assortment of board and card games, croquet, boules, etc.
- Covered loggia with table for 8-10
- Vine covered Pergola: table for 4-6 and lounge chairs (a matching table is located near the Private Studio Cottage and could be put on the pergola for additional dining.) The glass topped table by the swimming pool seats 10.
- Master bedroom 2: king size bed (could be two singles) plus a single bed, ensuite bathroom with walk in 4 x 3 foot travertine shower and a deep tub, private balcony with views.
- TV room: with two sofas and large armchair, TV, DVD multi-system international player (this will play DVD’s from most countries), VHS player, games console, lots of current books as well as classics and guide books.
- Guest Bedroom 3:- king size bed (could be two singles) plus a single bed, ensuite bathroom with 3 x 3 foot walk-in travertine shower and a tub. Views over valley to Todi even from tub! Bedroom views west over valley and north over hillsides and olive grove.
- Bedroom 4: kids or singles room: two single beds, one with trundle. Above in a loft, another single bed and a sofa which converts to a single bed. House rules, no small children in loft without supervision. Ensuite bathroom with a large shower.
Studio – 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, sleeps 2:
- This private bedroom is a short distance from the main house and adjoining the guest house through a covered walkway but is completely separate.
- Bedroom 1: King bed room with an ensuite bathroom with walk-in shower. French arched doors with lovely views.
- Only rented in conjunction with the main house.
Guest House – 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, sleeps 6:
This is a self-contained three-bedroom house on a hill with entrances both upstairs and downstairs.
- Entrance door opens to small lobby area with 2 bedrooms and stairs that lead to ground floor.
- Bedroom 1: king bed room, can be made as 2 singles
- Bedroom 2: king bed room, can be made as 2 singles
- Shared bathroom: between the rooms with a tub/shower. Stairs lead down to:
- Living room/ dining room
- Kitchen at one end and at other end a set of French doors opening to private gravel patio and driveway
- Bedroom 3: Large king bed room with French doors to gravel patio with lovely views west towards Todi and ensuite bathroom with walk- in shower.
- Laundry: there is a washer and dryer in an alcove
- It is only rented in conjunction with the main house.
- 10 acres of luscious grounds and garden, including olive grove and vineyard
- Infinity Pool 16 x 5 meters with lounge chairs, table sitting 10 and umbrellas
- Large vegetable garden and endless herbs for guests use
- Flowers on the grounds throughout the spring and summer